Frito pie is legendary in the Southwest for being spicy, salty and cheesy fabulous. Here’s my easy take on this crunchy classic. —Jan Moon, Alamogordo, New Mexico
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) Ranch Style beans (pinto beans in seasoned tomato sauce)
- 1 package (9-1/4 ounces) Frito corn chips
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Thinly sliced green onions, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in beans; heat through.
- 2. Reserve 1 cup corn chips for topping. Place remaining corn chips in a greased 13×9-in. baking dish. Layer with meat mixture, enchilada sauce and cheese; top with reserved chips.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted. If desired, sprinkle with green onions.