Homemade Twix Bars with layers of shortbread, homemade caramel, and melted chocolate. An irresistible copy-cat recipe of my favorite candy bar!
For the Shortbread:
- 1 cup butter cold, (*see note)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Caramel:
- 1 cup butter (*see note)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
For the Chocolate:
- 3 cups chopped milk or dark chocolate
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a 9×13″ pan with parchment paper, or spray really well with non-stick cooking spray.
For the Shortbread Crust:
- In a large bowl, use a pastry blender to combine the butter, sugar, flour, and vanilla until the mixture comes together. Press the shortbread dough into the pan.
- Bake for 28-35 minutes or until the crust is very lightly golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
For the Caramel:
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Maintain the heat at medium and bring mixture to a rolling boil, stirring often.
- Continue to cook, stirring constantly until the mixture reaches the soft ball stage, about 15-20 minutes).
- I test the “doneness” of the caramels using the ice water method: Stick several ice cubes in a cup and add cold water. Drop a spoonful of caramel into the ice water. If you’re able to clump the caramel sauce together in your hands to form a very soft ball, then it’s ready. When the caramel starts to turn golden brown, I do the ice water test every few minutes until I find that it’s ready, just to make sure I don’t overcook it.
- Once it reaches soft ball stage, remove from heat and pour the warm caramel over the cooled shortbread crust. Allow to cool for a few minutes, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
For the chocolate:
- Add the butter and chocolate to a bowl and use a double boiler (or your microwave at low power, 30 second intervals, stirring in between) to melt the chocolate until smooth.
- Pour melted chocolate over the set up caramel and smooth into an even layer. Refrigerate until the chocolate is set.
- Store in the fridge, covered, for up to 1 week.