- tablespoons butter, bacon grease, lard or beef drippings
- 1 yellow onion ,finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic ,minced
- 16 ounces fresh mushrooms of choice (I used button mushrooms in the photos) ,cleaned and sliced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups strong beef broth
- 1-2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar (according to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: For a creamy gravy, add a few tablespoons of heavy cream at the end
- Melt the butter (or bacon grease, lard or beef drippings – any of these will yield the most flavor) in a pan over medium-high heat and fry the onions until beginning to brown. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the mushrooms and cook 5-7 minutes or until golden and the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated.
- Add the butter and melt. Add the flour, stir to combine and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring continually.
- Add the beef broth, vinegar, thyme, sugar, salt and pepper. Whisk continually until the gravy is thickened. Cover and simmer on low, stirring occasionally, for 5-10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. If you prefer the gravy thinner add a little more water (or heavy cream if using)
**If using this gravy for German Jägerschnitzel and you prefer a more basic, traditional gravy, omit the balsamic vinegar and thyme.
Calories: 151kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 530mg | Potassium: 310mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 350IU | Vitamin C: 3.1mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 0.8mg