What is a Quesadilla?
A quesadilla is a famous Mexican dish. It is a tortilla filled with cheese, spices of choice, meats, beans, and vegetables and cooked on a skillet. A simpler way to describe quesadillas would be a flat loaded taco!
Homemade quesadilla recipe ready in under 30 minutes. Flour tortillas filled with beef, peppers, onions and mushrooms and loaded with cheese, then cooked until tortillas are crispy.
- 2 flour tortillas, medium/ burrito-sized
- 1/2 lb beef, (ribeye or top round), thinly sliced or diced
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 6 oz mushrooms, diced
- 3 slices provolone cheese, (avoid aged cheese), sliced in half
- 1 Tbsp light olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 tsp mayo, optional
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tsp oil, once hot add the chopped meat. Season with salt and pepper and cook until meat is fully cooked. Remove from skillet and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the onion, dice the mushrooms, and peppers. Sautee vegetables in the same skillet until tender, adding another teaspoon of oil if needed.
- Add the beef back to the skillet with minced garlic, stir and cook until meat is reheated.
- Spread mayo (if using) on the tortillas. Divide the filling between the tortillas, adding them to one side of the tortilla. Top the filling with sliced cheese and close the tortilla
- Heat a skillet over med heat. For a crisper tortilla, add a little oil to the pan. Place the tortilla in the hot pan and sautee until the cheese is melted and the outside is golden and crisp, flipping once. Slice and serve.