Learn how to make the most tender pan-seared garlic butter skillet steak and shrimp. You won’t have to go out to get good surf & turf when you can make it at home!
Steak and Shrimp:
- 2 large New York strip steaks (0r 4 small)
- 8 ounces shrimp, peeled and deveined
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 whole cloves of garlic
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic, pressed or minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme (or rosemary, or tarragon)
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
- a big pinch of maldon sea salt + coarse black pepper
- MAKE THE BUTTER: Combine the butter, garlic, chopped parsley, and chopped thyme with a generous pinch of salt and pepper in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until you’re ready to use it.
- PREP THE STEAKS: Make sure to remove the steaks from the refrigerator at least 20 minutes before cooking. Pat down the steaks with a paper towel, brush with just a little bit of olive oil on both sides and generously season your steaks with salt and pepper on both sides, really rub it in and make sure it sticks.
- COOK: Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of butter along with roughly 1 tablespoon of olive oil and allow the oil to heat through. Add the steaks to the pan along with the two whole cloves of garlic and cook the steaks for roughly 3-7 minutes on each side depending on the thickness of the steak and your preference of doneness. Check the temperature using a meat thermometer and when it reaches your desired doneness, remove the steaks to a plate and let rest for 5-7 minutes.
- SHRIMP: If you have a ton of grease leftover from the steak, discard most of it, leaving just 1 tablespoon to cook the shrimp in. While the steak is resting, add the remaining tablespoon of butter to the pan (if you didn’t have much oil left) over medium heat and add the shrimp. Move them around and season them with salt and pepper. Cook just long enough for them to curl up into a ‘c’ shape, about 1 – 1½ minutes.
- SERVE: when ready to serve, top the shrimp and steak with a generous dollop of the prepared garlic butter and serve warm with your favorite sides!
- if you’re using frozen shrimp, be sure to defrost them first and pat them dry with a paper towel before adding them to the skillet.
- if you’ve got leftover steak, I highly suggest putting this pizza together!