- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound catfish fillets, cut in strips
- 1 ½ cups fine cornmeal
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay™
- 1 quart vegetable oil for deep frying
- Step 1In a small bowl, mix buttermilk, water, salt, and pepper. Pour mixture into a flat pan large enough to hold the fillets. Spread fish in one layer over bottom of pan, turning to coat each side, and set aside to marinate.
- Step 2In a 2 gallon resealable plastic bag, combine the cornmeal, flour, and seafood seasoning. Add fish to mixture, a few fillets at a time, and tumble gently to coat evenly.
- Step 3Heat oil in deep fryer to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
- Step 4Deep fry fillets until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Avoid overcrowding so fillets have room to brown properly. Fish should be slightly crisp outside, and moist and flaky inside. Drain on paper towels.
Per Serving: 1427 calories; protein 45.7g; carbohydrates 131.6g; fat 78.6g; cholesterol 145mg; sodium 799.9mg.