- 3 cups fresh strawberries diced
- 1/2-3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup whole milk warm
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 375. F
- Grease a 1.8 liter casserole dish. (my oval corning ware dish was 11 x 8½ x2)
- In a medium bowl, add strawberries and sugar.
- Stir to coat strawberries in sugar and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Add in milk, vanilla extract and melted butter.
- Stir just until combined. A few lumps are ok so don’t overdo it.
- Pour batter evenly into dish.
- Spoon strawberries evenly on top of batter. Do NOT stir.
- Baked for 35-40 minutes or until golden. (may need to adjust time if using a different size dish)
- Serve as is or with vanilla ice cream or frozen whipped cream.
Even though the strawberries were already sweet I was glad I added in the full amount of sugar. Strawberries can have a slightly bitter taste so it was perfect.~TIPS~ Any kind of berry can be used. Be careful not to over stir batter too much. A few lumps is best. Feel free to cut down on the sugar.