- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup butter melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp red food coloring
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened (room temp)
- 4 tbsp butter, softened (room temp)
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Whip the cream cheese and butter together in a large bowl with a hand mixer until smooth. Carefully beat in the confectioners’ sugar, then add the vanilla and milk. Beat until the glaze is smooth. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, cocoa and salt in a large bowl, set aside. In separate medium bowl, beat the buttermilk, melted butter, eggs, vanilla and vinegar together until smooth, then stir in the red food coloring (See Note 1). Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Heat your waffle iron according to the manufacturers’ instructions. Spray the waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray and then pour about 1 cup of the waffle batter onto the waffle grid. Close and cook until the waffle is deep red and crisp on the outside, about 3 minutes (or when waffle iron timer goes off).
- Repeat with the remaining waffle batter. Serve each waffle drizzled with the cream cheese glaze and chopped pecans (optional).
1. Red beet powder can be substituted for the red food coloring if that is a health issue for you.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Calories: 896kcal | Carbohydrates: 115.3g | Protein: 16.3g | Fat: 41.7g | Saturated Fat: 24.6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 11g | Trans Fat: 1.1g | Cholesterol: 202.7mg | Sodium: 725.6mg | Fiber: 2.2g | Sugar: 725.6g