Indulge in the irresistible flavors of our Teriyaki Chicken Skewers
Teriyaki chicken skewers are a delicious and flavorful dish that combines tender chicken with a sweet and savory teriyaki glaze. Whether you’re grilling in the backyard or looking for a crowd-pleasing appetizer, these skewers are sure to impress.
To make teriyaki chicken skewers, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 lbs. chicken thighs (or breasts) cut into 1″ cubes
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup soy sauce *low sodium recommended
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- Wooden skewers, put it in water for 30 minutes to prevent burning
Instructions to make the best Teriyaki chicken skewers
1. In a bowl, combine the soy sauce, honey, mirin, rice vinegar, minced garlic, and grated ginger. Subsequently, mix well to create the teriyaki marinade.
2. Place the chicken pieces in a zip-top bag and pour the marinade over them. Close the bag and gently massage it until you evenly coat the chicken. Allow the chicken to marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours for maximum flavor.
3. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Additionally, if you use a charcoal grill, ensure you have evenly lit coals and clean grill grates.
4. Thread the marinated chicken pieces onto the soaked wooden skewers, leaving a little space between each piece.
5. Brush vegetable oil on the grill to prevent sticking. Cook for 4-5 minutes per side, or until the chicken is cooked through and slightly charred.
6. While the chicken is grilling, you can brush some of the remaining marinade on the skewers for an extra burst of flavor.
7. Once you’ve cooked the chicken, remove the skewers from the grill and let them rest for a few minutes before serving.
8. Serve the teriyaki chicken skewers hot, either as a main dish with steamed rice and vegetables, or as an appetizer at your next gathering.
Teriyaki chicken skewers are a simple yet satisfying dish that can be enjoyed by everyone. With their mouthwatering flavors and easy preparation, they are a great addition to any meal or gathering. By following these step-by-step instructions, you’ll be able to create tender and flavorful meal in no time. Enjoy!
Teriyaki Chicken Skewers VARIATIONS AND TIPS
Teriyaki chicken skewers are a delicious and versatile dish that can be enjoyed in various ways. Now, let’s explore some variations and tips to help you enhance it:
1. Vegetable Skewers
If you’re looking to add more vegetables to your meal, consider making vegetable skewers alongside the teriyaki chicken. You can use bell peppers, onions, zucchini, and mushrooms. Simply marinate the vegetables in the same teriyaki sauce as the chicken and grill them until they are tender and slightly charred.
2. Pineapple Skewers
For a sweet and tangy twist, add fresh pineapple chunks to your skewers. Additionally, the natural sweetness of the pineapple complements the savory teriyaki chicken perfectly. Moreover, the pineapple can be marinated in the teriyaki sauce or simply threaded onto the skewers with the chicken.
3. Teriyaki Glaze
To give your skewers a glossy and flavorful finish, brush them with a teriyaki glaze while grilling. The glaze can be made by reducing the teriyaki sauce on the stovetop until it thickens slightly. Brush the glaze onto the skewers during the last few minutes of grilling, allowing it to caramelize and create a deliciously sticky coating.
4. Sesame Seeds
To add texture and nuttiness, sprinkle sesame seeds over the teriyaki chicken skewers before serving. Toasted sesame seeds will provide a deeper flavor, but raw sesame seeds will work as well.
5. Marinade Time
To ensure the chicken thoroughly absorbs the teriyaki flavor, marinate it for at least 30 minutes, but preferably longer. You can prepare the marinade in advance and let the chicken marinate overnight for maximum flavor.
6. Skewer Soaking
If you’re using wooden skewers, remember to soak them in water for about 30 minutes before using. Soaking will prevent them from burning or charring too quickly on the grill.
7. Grilling Temperature
Preheat your grill to medium-high heat before cooking the teriyaki chicken skewers. This action will help achieve a nicely charred exterior while ensuring that the chicken is cooked through.
When grilling the skewers, baste them with the reserved marinade or additional teriyaki sauce to keep the chicken moist and flavorful. Basting also adds an extra layer of caramelization to the chicken.
9. Resting Time
After grilling, allow it to rest for a few minutes before serving.
10. Serving Suggestions Teriyaki chicken skewers
It can be served as a main dish with steamed rice and a side of sautéed vegetables. They also make a great addition to salads or can be enjoyed on their own as appetizers or party snacks.
Remember, these variations and tips are meant to inspire creativity and experimentation with your teriyaki chicken skewers. Additionally, feel free to adapt them to your taste preferences and enjoy this delicious dish in your own unique way.
- Cuisine: ASIAN
- Prep Time: 45 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Servings: 4 people